Protagonist Therapeutics Delivers Positive Topline Results in Psoriasis Study
Protagonist Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq: PTGX) has received positive topline results in its Phase 2b FRONTIER 1 clinical trial evaluating a treatment for psoriasis. The study is being conducted in collaboration with Janssen Biotech, Inc.
The company’s candidate, JNJ-2113, is an oral Interleukin-23 receptor (IL-23R) antagonist peptide. IL-23 inhibitors can help limit the inflammation that causes psoriasis symptoms.
- Data from the 255-patient FRONTIER 1 Phase 2b study showed that a statistically significant proportion of patients who received JNJ-2113 achieved a 75% improvement in skin lesions.
- A clear dose response was observed across an eight-fold dose range.
- JNJ-2113 was well-tolerated with no adverse events.
- The company’s SUMMIT Phase 2a trial is testing a delayed release JNJ-2113 tablet versus placebo in adults with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis.
- Advancement of JNJ-2113 into a Phase 3 study and meeting the primary endpoint in that study would qualify Protagonist for milestone payments of $50 million and $115 million, respectively.
- Protagonist remains eligible for up to $855 million in various milestone payments and tiered royalties based on worldwide net drug sales.
Data from various pre-clinical and clinical studies on JNJ-2113 will be presented at medical conferences beginning in the second quarter of 2023.
JNJ-2113 is being developed through a license and collaboration agreement between Protagonist and Janssen Biotech, Inc., one of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson.